Monday, September 15, 2008

Nevada City September 2008

Following the great experience of Virginia City I did not want to believe that the year was over. Sure enough I found an event in Nevada City, CA only two weeks away. I called up Pvt. Edwards and we headed to Nevada City.

We formed up with the 79th New York Cameron Highlanders Company "C" Volunteer Infantry.
This event was larger than what I had seen yet. It was close to 100 union infantry and 4 cannon crews. The Rebs had about 80 infantry and about a dozen cannons.

Marching en mass was great. As the whole battalion marched in unison it made quite a thunder.
The first battle ended quickly and I was unable to dispatch one rebel.

During the second battle battle I felt heat hit my left arm. The pain was bearable. The surgeon patched my arm and I was back in with my company. We advanced down the battle field and I felt a Mine' ball tear through the flesh of my right lower leg. I found myself face down. The pain was great but I found that I could still move my toes and ankle. I crawled back to my company. It was slow and painful, but I made it back in line. Finally, back with my company I raised my rifle and fired. They always say three times the charm. A third ball hit me square in the chest. Everything went white.


At the end of the second battle we formed a line and gave a final salute. A moment of silence was held for the active military of today. The names of the active and deceased servicemen were read aloud. A great event in a nice location.


No comments: