Monday, June 15, 2009

2009 Carson City Rendezvous

The Carson City Rendezvous is an annual celebration of Carson City, mountain men, gun fighters, but especially the civil war. If it wasn't for the war between the states,Nevada would not have become a state, Carson City would not have grown and we wouldn't have the rendezvous today. Thank you our noble Union Army!

A notice went out to the local hamlets and towns calling all men to rally to the flag of the Union. Confederate agents and soldiers had een scouted in the area and had hreatened to take control of the state capital. We setup camp in the middle of the town a few blocks from the state capital building.


We were called to assembly and the Colonel addressed all present. Though are numbers were few it was up to us to protect the capital. It was up to us to drive the confederates out of the city and destroy them. He said reinforcements were on their way but they are probably three days away.

We were quickly dismissed when a wounded scout was brought in. The boy was shot in the belly. I thought he already was dead, but the surgeon went to work trying to save the boys life.


The boy survived the surgery but died later in the night. Before the scout lost all consciousness he reported reb movement coming from the west of our position.
We formed up and headed west.



Our company was marched in column toward the west to attend against the enemy. We were being sent as skirmishers in force. If we could stop the rebs further out from the capital building it would give us more room for defense. As we entered the clearing we found the enemy waiting for us. Their canons roared and we moved to the rear while our canons were brought forward to contest our foe.

After a lengthy barrage from our canons we marched on to the field.
A small company of Rebs marched out to meet us. They fired a volley at us but luckily no one was hit. The must have been shooting smooth bore muskets. The rifling of our barrels gave us more accuracy at a longer distance. Sharp Shooter Ehrman demonstrated exceptional skills and equipment when he scored a hit to the Reb Colonel. The Colonel fell to the earth, writhing and moaning.

We added our own insult by firing a volley at the angered grey mob.
We taunted those boys and slowly advanced on them.


They ran to a breastwork at the double and hid behind it.


We advanced toward the breastwork. As we came within 50 yards there canons opened up and we dropped to our knees. The Captain gave the command,"Ready, aim, Fire!"


"Rise," he said and we continued our advance.


We fired a volley and continued forward.

A howling and shrill rose up which made my spine tingle. Then like wild wolves they lept over the breastwork and were at a full run towards us. We did not have time to reload. We returned with our own war cry, a deeper, guttural cry and like warriors of olden times we ran towards the on coming grey beasts.
Primal yells, thrashing of bayonets and rifles, and the blood and sweat of men dominated the field.




A big feller from Virginia single me out and we clashed. He charged, I parried. I charged, he blocked. Then I was struck on my side. I fell to my knees.



Lightning struck my skull. I was disoriented and knew I would receive a bayonet in the side. Private Erwin, my lucky Scottsman, charged in and threw himself at the Virginian.
My vision cleared and my attacker was gone. Boom! Boom! Boom! Cannons on both sides opened fire on this mass of struggling bodies. Men were falling and dying. Shrapnel sliced through my thigh and I fell. That lucky Scottsman had the Reb colors and was running from a cavalry rider. I thought to myself, "Erwin is going to survive this war." Then I could think no more.
The Carson City Rendezvous was a fun and action packed event. I enjoyed my first large hand-to-hand combat scenario. I hope we do it again next year. Some great new recruits showed up and really added to the event.

No comments: