Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Roaring Camp 2009

On the coast of California, South of San Fransisco, you will find beaches, boardwalks, bums, and civil war ghosts. I am one of the ghosts and this is the story of my death.

The Golden State was an important source of material wealth to the Union during the war between the states, The Civil War. The South became aware of the importance California's gold played in helping the North pay for the war and so they wanted in on it. As a result a special force was sent to steal and plunder Union Gold before it could be sent to Washington. For once Pinkerton had reliable information, obtained from his spy network, and President Lincoln dispatched a Union Force to intercept the southern threat.

The Iron Brigade was sent to stop the threat. We arrived in Santa Cruz, CA on the 20th of May, 1863. We marched six miles to the train depot, Roaring Camp, and set up camp.






























The Colonel's wife is a fine lady and she has commissioned a number of woman to assist in the camp. Boy, these fine ladies can cook. It makes me a little homesick.






























































A picket line was arrayed around our camp. Union cavalry reported confederate forces to our east not far away. We prepared and waited.

A large shipment of Union gold arrived at the Train Depot to depart on the 25th. Lt. Colonel Bispo made a speech about the importance of the Gold and we must make sure this Gold makes it to its destination. His speech was full of vim and vinegar and lasted two hours.


































In the morning we woke to fog blanketing the ground. It was like we stood next to the smoking gates of hell. It was an erie feeling not knowing what awaited us in the fog.

My unit was sent out as skirmishers.












We were able to push there skirmishers back. Our joy was subdued when we found out that a few replacements were killed in the fight. We expected a counter attack. The sun burned the fog away to reveal empty field with a few dead rebs. The rest of the day was uneventful.
















I awoke early the next day to sound of canon fire.




































The rebs were attacking from the east. The whole brigade was quickly assembled and formed into battle lines. The Colonel implored us to hold our positions.


















A big grey line emerged out of the line of trees to our east. Like ghosts out of the mist these southern apparitions appeared. They raised there rifles and fired. It was so early in the morning and I could see the vapor trail of these balls. It was like a swarm of bees sent out from the grey ghosts.














"Ready, aim, Fire, load." screamed the Major.














We advanced forward, firing, forward and continued to fire. The Rebs suddenly retreated back into the tree line. As quickly as it had started it was all over. Our brigade cheered in relief.
















I congratulated myself on surviving another battle. The men of the Iron Brigade were known for there bravery. Unfortunately, they were also known for holding out and holding on until the last man. Many a good man have died holding to the last man in battles that started like this.

Boom! A shell ignited behind our line. The battle was back on! Flame ignited from the tree line. Then the grey line flowed toward us at a run.















I looked around and found four men to my left were lying in a heap. I raised my rifle, aimed at the mass, and fired. As I reloaded I heard the sick sound of a round hitting flesh. Big John grunted and fell. I raised my rifle and the grey mass was no longer a blur but the rebs were plain to see, for they were close. I fired. As the smoke cleared I could see the line of men now less than 60 yards away. Heat penetrated my neck and I found myself falling. I tried to put my arms out to catch myself but my arms wouldn't move. I landed on my side. I couldn't get my breath. It was hard to breath. I felt sweat on my face and chin. It was hot and sticky. No, that was blood, my blood. Blackness closed in from the sides. Before the blackness veiled my vision completely, the Sargent's face appeared next to me. He wasn't looking back at me. I tried to scream to him but all I heard was this wet sound. He was dead and I knew it. I was dead and I knew it. Then blackness filled everything.















Although the battle field was small the event was a lot of fun. A lot of people attended the event throughout the weekend. The Colonel and his staff provided some new and educational drills.

Monday we were able to provide Honor Guard detail for the City of Santa Cruz at the Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery. Roaring Camp also recognized and honored the fallen heroes of the past.

No comments: