Friday, May 1, 2009

Las Mariposas Civil War Days

After a long trek in our horseless wagon we arrived in the Mariposa area. A small civilian tent city was center for the upcoming campaign against the Sesech army.

With the news of an approaching reb army I joined the 7th W. Virginia infantry. President Lincoln was visiting, so the Brigade stood for a grand review.
The president gave a short and fiery speech and the boys were ready to fight.

A large dust cloud formed off to the southwest and some rebel scouts were seen over the ridge. We formed into three companies and my company was held in reserve. While we waited we heard the cannon fire and popping of musketry. Hearing the continuous cannons firing I had a bad feeling. I had only seen 6 cannons in our camp and now I heard at least a dozen firing. The rebs came prepared to battle and probably had some US artillery in their hands. Just as I figured we were outnumbered and outgunned some cannons were rushed forward.
A mounted messenger came up at a full gallop and we were sent up to battle at the double quick.
As we cleared the crest we could see the reb infantry at the bottom of the hill. We were on good ground. We were on the hill and we could fire down on our enemy. Like it always is, our commanders couldn't see good ground in front of their own eyes. We were ordered down the hill into the bottom of the gully. To my amazement the rebs pulled back and so we pushed forward.
Suddenly, musket fire was coming from our right flank. The rebs set a trap and we took the bait. We made an orderly retreat and fell back to the gully. Just as we readied to counter attack we received musket fire from our left flank. We found we were surrounded on three sides. We made a right face to right flank march and the reb cavalry came over the hill. We had no choice and surrendered to those cunning southern foxes.
We were sent to the reb camp and they put us to work. Even the drummer boys were force to do hard work.
Later that day, the guards posted to watch us, got into some confiscated corn whiskey and that is when we made our escape. Three of us were able to get back to our lines and we found ourselves thrown back into battle. This time the lead was coming fast and hot and we returned
obligingly. We were given filled cartridge boxes with forty cartridges.
My rifle heated up and I was able to fire Minne every 20 seconds. I quickly found that I was running low on ammunition and I was able to acquire more cartridges from the dead and fallen around me. The sun was setting and I knew that would help us hold on. After the sky darkened we were marched back to camp. Unfortunately, we happened to march across a temporary hospital under some large oaks. The wounded were lined up on blankets all around. Men were crying and moaning. The smell was that of body fluids, blood and sweat.
That night we slept on our rifles ready for reb attack in the morning.
Early we were formed into line.
The Col. was sending us to an early attack, a surprise attack, if possible.
We advanced stealthily and quickly towards the reb lines. We marched about 300 yards across a large pasture and into the tree lines. We met a few reb pickets in the trees but they made a retreat toward their camp. As we came out of the trees into the next pasture we could see long grey lines formed ready to meet us in battle. We marched loaded and fired. Then we loaded and continued marching toward that grey line. They didn't move and none of them fired at us.
The Lt. ordered us to fix bayonets. Then he yelled "Charge!" We took off running toward the line and when we were within 30 yards the whole reb line fired upon us. Men went down and our line stopped charging. I reloaded and looked up and my company had turned and were running. I could see no sense in paying the butcher bill by myself so I fired, turned and joined the other two black hats of our mishmash company. It must have been a sight. Of our company only a few of us were able to retreat in order. Three black hats of the Old Iron Brigade fired and retreated, fired and retreated and continued until the rebs stopped advancing. Some of our boys must have continued running until they were back at camp. I remember hearing the Major cursing at some boys when they were running away. I don't blame them. I understood. I was not going to die for that Major or any other incompetent officer that day. When will we get our own Bobby Lee?
The rest of the brigade returned to camp about the same time I did. It looked like we had lost about a third of our company. Many were wounded but a lot were missing. They probably decided they were done fighting this war and they went home.
The remaining members were sent out as skirmishers into the beginning of the second pasture just exiting the treeline. Some reb marines were deployed as skirmishers opposite our line.
We advanced and fired on their lines and they returned in kind. We continued to push back and the marines left the field. A few minutes later the reformed brigade advanced behind us en mass.
Our skirmishing line held and we continued to fire our rifles with all we had.
To great excitement we found a whole brigade of reb infantry appear on our left flank. Our skirmishing line was ordered into company line and we were ordered to hold the flank at all costs.
The reb fire was accurate and deadly. Before long our numbers were decimated. We were going to hold this line to the last man. It was like we stirred up a hornets nest. Buzzing, zipping, and hissing sounds filled the air, then the gruesome sound of a round hitting flesh. As men fell I tried to load and fire as quickly as possible. I was back with my 2nd Wisconsin boys and we were keeping the reputation. I felt a smile form on my face and then the wind was knocked out of me and I felt heat in my chest. On my side, I rolled to see my badger brothers but they had fallen. Sargent Hinton was lifeless and Big John V had a large blood stain on his back and then...
Mariposa was great! The natural setting and scenery of this event made this event feel realistic. I enjoyed the location and the battlefield. I would love to return to Las Mariposas again.

No comments: